Sunday, September 28, 2014

Equilibrium

Hello all,
This post is about writing but what it's really about is passion. We all have something that we cannot live without (if not several things). I love to do a lot of things, but  my relationship to this craft is bigger than that.
My life without words would be empty---writing sustains me and has made me who I am today. This is more than loving something. This is being made of something. This is surviving because of something. I hope sincerely that all of you feel this way about whatever it is that you do, and I hope you do it all the time.

Without further ado...Enjoy!




Equilibrium
Somebody asked me yesterday,
“So you write for fun?”
No.
I write the way you breathe.
It's involuntary.
It’s a bodily response to stimuli, stimuli being
Sunset
Rainy day
Teacup
Curve of a shoulder
Delicate secret tuck of hip.
But so much more than that too
Isn’t it?
Because
Because
I hear God in a pen’s scratch
And  find love
In the
perfect
order
of
 lined paper.
I wish I could  explain that sometimes I think I would die without this
Without words
I am afraid, so afraid of who I would be without a pen in my hand, without my fingers
 tiptapping
on a keyboard to tell me where I belong
To say
Here
Here
Here you are.
I recognize myself in my words
That’s me,  there she is, I found her.
Because sometimes I wake up in the morning and my reflection in the mirror looks unfamiliar
My hair parts to the right at night, while I sleep
Moved I guess by unconscious dream fingers
And then in the morning my symmetry is reversed and the world feels flipped on its head,
Like standing up too fast.
And the only way it ever looks right again is
To write it all down.
 So  I guess
You could say I write for
Balance
I write for
Equilibirum
This is my stasis.
Aristotle wrote about the idea of final cause.
He believed that all things had a purpose and a place and we would get there, somehow.
This is my final cause.
Midnight on a Thursday,
Listening to the whirr of the fan and the soft beat of my own heart telling me I exist, yes
I think therefore I am,
I write.
I write, therefore
Therefore
I must be
Yes, yes.
I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment