Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My Mirrors


It has been an inspiring week for me as a writer--I graduated high school a week from tomorrow, and the literary anthology who published my short story "Lost and Found, British Museum" arrived yesterday. I wrote this poem to acknowledge the people in my life who have helped me most to grow--my family. Thank you to Devin, Molly, and Joseph for being my friends and partners, and of course lots of love my two incredible parents. 
Enjoy :) 


People say,
You can’t pick family.
As if they arrive as a boxed set on the front stoop,
Vaccum-sealed and plastic wrapped.
. If that was the case, I would have one brother only, just the pair of us.
I haven’t.
 I am rich in loved ones.
I have two brothers, and a sister.
They drifted into my life from other homes, broken places.
It wasn’t always easy ,
Trying to find my  niche between their loud voices, their easy confidence.
Middle children, psychologists say, spend their lives searching
I was no exception,
Did my fair share of pushing, shoving, begging, fighting for a place.
Feeling as though I wasn’t one of them.
My big brown eyes looking, always looking,to where I could fit.
But I realized, eventually, that there had been a place all along, a chair waiting for me at the dinner table, a space cleared on the couch, a stocking hung by the tree.
Four of us,
Four, I always thought that was the perfect number, so even, so fair.
We are woven together like a friendship bracelet, the handiwork of a summer day, tied for life.
I think of them laughing,
Of her tickling his chubby baby feet or braiding my hair,
of those boys shooting at me with a water gun, mock tears.
They are the mirrors I hold myself up to,
Because who am I if not a reflection of them?
The older two my protectors, the younger my playmate.
I think of my big brother, serious at eight years old,
telling the lunch lady to send me inside, I had a cough, couldn’t she see?
I think of my sister wrapping a brownie in a crisp white napkin, helping me hide it, giggling at our contraband.
I think of my baby brother tossing a basketball, grinning at his perfect slam dunk.
I think of them all.
And sometimes I felt as though our colorful family photos must be a mistake,
As though we were breaking the rules,
And I longed for the simplicity of my friends’ families,
matching t-shirts, lookalikes, no need for explanation.
But then.
Then I think of them laughing.
And I realize
They were chosen, they were given, and every day they are a reminder
Of how blessed it is
To belong to a tribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment